Friday, December 15, 2006

Sanctioned highway robbery

Decades ago humorist Stephen Leacock (a Canadian Mark Twain in many respects) wrote a highly amusing little essay on how banks “rattle” him. I understood what he meant even at an early age, but by this later age I find that Canadian banks don’t rattle me one little bit – to be rattled you have to have respect for the institution, and I have none – they infuriate me.

My latest fit of pique came about following our European sojourn during which I used my ATM card many times. What a blessing to not have to go through that American Express nonsense any longer. And, with ATM card in hand I stuck it into instant tellers all over the place – in France, Belgium and England. Each time I got a little message that informed me that while Barclay’s Bank, for example, was not charging me for the transaction, what my own bank might do was entirely up to my own bank. So, naïve soul that I was, I thought I was off the hook in terms of extra charges.

You see, in Europe it is illegal for banks to charge an extra ATM fee even if the user is not dealing with his home bank. That is as it should be. In Canada, of course, with the tacit approval of successive Canadian governments, none of which would dare utter a word against the banks (because the banks are their owners, not the voters), they charge me a fee of $1.50 if I am not using an ATM associated with my own bank. The bastards.

But, adding grievous insult to fiduciary injury, when I got my first bank statement from the European trip I found that the sonsofbitches had charged me $5 for every ATM transaction. To say that I am outraged by the thievery is to state the case mildly. I am antagonistic enough that whenever I hear that somebody has pulled a successful bank job (provided nobody gets hurt or traumatized, let’s make it a safecracking, OK?) I silently applaud the crime. So, for an institution to raise so much rancor in an otherwise scrupulously law-abiding citizen indicates to me that something is wrong with the system.

Something is indeed wrong with a system in which I can be charged $1.50 or $5, depending on where I am, for the right to use a bank machine. Something is wrong with a system in which there is utterly no point in maintaining a savings account because the interest payment is so low that it’s worthless bothering. Banks in England, by the way, pay 3.5% on savings account. Something is indeed wrong when chartered banks blithely shut down branches in communities so that they can “centralize” their services, and then have the audacity to peddle the bullshit that such changes are to the benefit of customers. And something is truly wrong when I read the business pages and find that the chartered banks in this country have yet again posted huge profits in the past year.

Of course they have. What’s there to stop them? They have their hands in your pockets no matter what you do. They own your home; they charge felonious rates for their services; and they do as little as they possibly can to serve you. Oh, and by the way, they are also getting into the insurance racket. There’s another business I’ll ‘rant’ about someday.

Phew. That feels better. I’ll only close by saying that I understand perfectly why Granny stuffed her meagre savings into the mattress.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

My dad expressed the same outrage when he found similar charges.
When he raised a stink about it (which he is VERY capable of doing) they (RBC) reversed the charges and I don't think he's been charged since.
I doubt they would do that for me...but I'm no where near as loud.

7:15 PM  
Blogger djn said...

Holy Moses, Ian -- $5.00?? Geez, that is nonsense. I'm sitting here just shaking my head -- I'm a designated offendee for you.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

In total agreement here, Ian. It had been many years since I'd been over to Europe and the first time I tried to use my ATM card and my credit card, they were refused! I nearly fainted. Apparently, you need to inform your bank and credit cards where you're going to be and for how long. I understand it now after they explained about "identity theft," but at the time it was quite a shock. I guess you just have to add in the extra expense to the cost of the trip. We should be thankful, though, that we can afford to go to Europe.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home