Sunday, December 10, 2006

Pre-Christmas rant

Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas.

There, I wrote it. So sue me. That was my little gesture against the forces of Political Correctness as they continue their quest to not only secularize the season, but to secularize any trapping of Western society that dares to make mention of a Christian heritage or that Christ fella.

The biggest proselytizers of anti-clerical bilge our the schools in these parts. In this particular district there is almost unanimity among those who hold sway over our tiny-tots that there must be no mention of not only Christmas but also there must be no mention of the (shudder) Christ connection with what is going on. This is being done, of course, in some sort of a spirit of exclusivity. That is, those kids who are Jews, or Muslims, or Hindus, or Buddhists must not feel left out.

But, why should they? Hey, come and join the party. All are welcome. Not only that but nobody will even try to convert you. And, if we invite you along for Christmas festivities, maybe you’ll invite us to Chanukah or Chinese New Year, Ramadan, or any other religion-inspired festivities peculiar to other faiths. The irony here is, though, while our schools deny mention of Christmas, Christianity and the like, they run out and embrace the festivities of other faiths. What in hell is that all about? Is the inference that our kids should be somehow ashamed to have a Christian background, but that Chanukah and Ramadan should be sources of pride? Well, of course they should be sources of cultural pride – but I protest, so should Christianity. In my esteem, it’s either that, or damn well do away with them all and make our schools utterly secular.

And, to truly embrace that concept, I want all those teachers and school boards who are determined to get the Christ out of Christmas to also forego that annual Christmas vacation, not to mention the Easter break. Why should they have them? They don’t believe in the inspiration behind them.

I don’t write this as a practicing, churchgoing Christian, for I’m not. But, I still subscribe to my Christian heritage and the concept of Christ has given me solace in this life more than once. Much as I imagine Allah gives others solace, and the ‘Creator’ subscribed to by Native North Americans gives them succor. That’s what it’s all about, after all.

A case-in-point from this area shows how foolish and insulting this has become, especially when the school system imposes its view on the susceptible young. A few years ago a new junior school opened not far from here. At the ceremony spiritual leaders of the local Native band were invited to do a “smudging” ceremony to bless the new school. Nothing wrong with that. But, can you imagine the outrage if a pastor or priest had been invited to give a Christian blessing to the new school?

However, despite the gloom over such offensive silliness, the advocates of secularizing the Christmas season will end up, as Scrooge suggested, boiled in their own pudding because an apparent backlash is growing.

Not a moment too soon, in my esteem. Now I think I’ll go and play a Christmas carol.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sean Carter said...

very true christ should be brought out of christmas and it should also be past of other majotr events as u mentioned. if you are interested in christmas do check my holiday blog

11:16 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Heck, the more vactions I can opt for the better. How many vacation days for Ramadan, anyway?

But seriously, you're correct. It's gotten beyond the point of silly.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

I agree - not that I have any love of any particular religion, but it is what it is! I'll enjoy a lovely Christmas celebration, and I'll likely dress up for Chinese New Year, and honor Passover, and well, any holiday I can! I have found it especially important to expose my children to as many cultural or religious celebrations as I can reasonably fit in, and we even make up our own celebrations, because it helps to put them all in social context which affirms the value of diversity.

1:49 PM  
Blogger djn said...

Well said! I'm going to play a Christmas carole now too!!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home