Thursday, January 25, 2007

An acrylic return visit to Annecy

This isn't really a moment of vainglory, I just mainly wanted to see what this painting looked like when posted. It's a view of a canal scene in the exquisite town of Annecy, France (about which I wrote in a blog while I was in France).

So, I'm not certain if the painting is completely finished to my liking, but I am also wary of that old 'one last tap' thing, in which the sculptor after laboring for years on a statue of either the Virgin Mary or Britney Spears, is tempted by that one more tap, only to have the entire thing split right down the middle. So, I'll live with it for a few days before I decide about the 'tap'.

Anyway, I am quite pleased with it as is, and I hope it will be the first in a serious I want to do pertaining to our European sojourn in October and November last year. I am especially thrilled with the canal and the reflections in the water. I hadn't dared to do reflections in earlier paintings, and my technique just came from the top of my head and -- behold -- it actually worked; to my satisfaction, at least.

What was fun in doing this painting was that it took me right back to Annecy, with its hodgepodge of medieval and renaissance buildings, quirky little streets and alleyways, and the ubiquitous and crystaline canals circling through the old town part of the large city. Hey, I even though about our lunch of lapin et polenta in a tiny restaurant down one of those aforementioned narrow streets. It was a worthy revisitation.

The next project I want to tackle is the baroque marvel of the Grand Place in Brussels. The smooth buildings of Annecy will be a cinch compared to the intricacies and fussiness of the baroque.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

I spent some time in Annecy, a long time ago... I love this. Oh, and yes, now, take me back to Belgium please.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Marie-Hélène Raletz said...

This is superb, Ian, I love the colours, reminiscent of fauvism, and the reflection.
I'm looking forward to your painting the Grand'Place de Bruxelles.
Marie

10:20 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Ian, I like your painting and look forward to others such as this one.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I really enjoy paintings the have the 'feel' of the place contained within.
You've captured that very well, with the differing qualities of the stone walls.

10:32 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

WOW, that is fabulous, i love it!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I raed that this week and I thought..WTF screw him!

Thankgod for my blog..I've met incredible people. :)

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home