Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Acrophobia -- isn't that a little country near Romania?

I am currently sitting at my computer in a suite on the fifth floor of an apartment block. This place is my ‘other’ home apart from our suburban bungalow that we love dearly. Work, however, takes my wife to another town, so we have a residence here, too. I spend as much time working from here as I can, mainly because I cherish her company and don’t savor time apart. It’s not a big deal, and this is a nice place to be. I look out the window and see vistas of an appealing, mid-sized city that is very popular, for good reason, with tourists.

Yeah, it’s great. Except for one thing: The apartment is on the damn fifth floor!

You see, I am acrophobic. I don’t like being acrophobic, but that is what I am. I’ve mentioned before that heights disconcert me, and I also mentioned in the past that going up in an airplane doesn’t distress me at all (other than the fact that God did not intend us to fly), but being a few feet about ground creeps me out.

Phobias are such weird things because we usually have no idea where they originate. They just are. I’ve never fallen from a great height; I’ve never been threatened with destruction and mayhem by being thrown from a great height. Yet, great heights (or even relatively piddly heights) rattle me. The rattle me sometimes to the point of immobility. Wikipedia looks at acrophobia in this way:

Some neurologists question the prevailing wisdom and argue that acrophobia is caused by dysfunction in maintaining balance and that the anxiety is both well founded and secondary. According to the dysfunction model, a normal person uses both vestibular and visual cues appropriately in maintaining balance. An acrophobic overrelies on visual signals whether because of inadequate vestibular function or incorrect strategy. Locomotion at a high elevation requires more than normal visual processing. The visual cortex becomes overloaded and the person becomes confused. Some proponents of the alternate view of acrophobia warn that it may be ill-advised to encourage acrophobics to expose themselves to height without first resolving the vestibular issues. Research is underway at several clinics.

Phew, that was a relief. I’m not totally weird in this, just moderately weird. Part of my problem unfolds this way. I’m fine when I am in the apartment. I am comfortable looking out the window and like the view. It’s when I go out on the balcony that it all starts to fall down. The balcony is five unforgiving floors up. What if I stumble? What if I get some bizarre impulse to hurl myself over? I am not even mildly suicidal; never have been. So, where does that come from? Well, it’s another one that cannot be clearly explained, and it is a common manifestation of acrophobia.

Acrophobia isn’t uncommon. Neither are other phobias, like irrational fears of spiders, snakes, closed-in places, crowds, the marketplace (agoraphobia) and virtually every thing and circumstance you couilod imagine. Few are those who don’t have some phobia or other. This doesn’t mean that all fears are phobias, howver. If you happen to live in cobra country, then a fear of snakes would be common sense rather than a phobia.

My acrophobia first became apparent to me a number of years ago. My ex-wife (one of them) and I were in Seattle on vacation. "Let's go up to the top of the Space Needle," she said, all perkily. We went out to the Space Needle. I looked up at it from street level. "No freaking way am I going up there," I told her, and I didn't say "freaking." Just an overwhelming fear gripped me and I knew I had no desire to be up there. Last year my wife and I were in Waikiki staying at the Hawaiian Village. One afternoon I looked out the window of our 22nd floor (shudder) suite and pondered the tower across the way. There was a guy out on the balcony on probably the 25th floor. How can he do that, I thought. I found it uncomforable even watching him, yet he seemed blase as hell about where he was, and even leaned over and looked down. My stomach almost flipped and I had to look away.

Anyway, in my acrophobia, I felt much relief last evening when we went out to dinner at the home of good friends who live nearby. The host asked how I liked living part-time in the 5th floor apartment. Fine, I replied, it's a nice place, except I’m not crazy about being out on the balcony. He told me that was why he’d asked, because he – ta-da! – is also acrophobic. I didn’t know that before. It came as some comfort since he is an otherwise successful and rational man. In fact, his acrophobia is even more severe than mine. He has problems going up a stepladder, whereas I only balk if I’m more than halfway up a full-length extension ladder. If I’m still low enough that if I fell I would only break a leg rather than splatter myself over the pavement, I’m still OK. So, if a 2nd floor apartment becomes available, I think I'd be pleased. On the other hand, I am grateful we're not on the 12th.

Even so, should you walk by my place some day, don’t expect me to be out on the balcony waving at you. I might lose my balance and fall. I don't think I'll take the chance.

Do you have a phobia? Want to tell us about it?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Groanin' Jock said...

I'm scared of birds. I don't know why - whether it's the feathers, the flapping, the beak or the staring side-of-the-head eyes - I just fear birds. As far as I'm aware, I always have, and I imagine I always will. I especially hate birds that have become desensitised to human presence, such as inner-city pigeons, seagulls and chickens. I'd rather cross the street than walk too close to a pigeon. Which I suppose makes my fear even more irrational than yours - people have died falling from the fifth floor of a building, but no-one was ever pecked or flapped to death by a pigeon!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

It's funny because my wife is definitely acrophobic or as we say here in Montréal "Elle soufrre du vertige." I on the other hand am not. I've stood on the edge of a 800+ meter cliff, high in the mountains, with my toes hanging over the edge and felt nothing besides the thrill of the beautiful view. It really depends on the person. I have also heard that "le vertige" is in part physical and would have a tendency to believe it since my son also suffers from it like his mother.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I'm not scared of anything. Weird, huh?
Rats, snakes, heights, small spaces, fast cars...nothing.
If pressed, I'd say that I'm not overly fond of deep water, but that's only because I'm not a very strong swimmer (that seems more a logical concern than a phobia).

Guess I'm lucky!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I find I get a bit fearful in small crowded places like a store or a small boat's bunk...something about not being able to breathe properly. Other then that I have a pretty normal view of things. Of course I might give a small shriek if I came face to face unexpectedly with a rattler or a tarantula or a black bear but that's normal......isn't it?

6:25 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

1) crowds
2) closed in spaces
3) elevators, in which i always stay to the front because i'm not as tall as other people
4) heights, which also include steep escalators. i wouldn't even go on the 22nd floor of any place, so you did good.

8:53 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I have every phobia known to man and some I invented. I'm pretty much afraid of every animal except cats. I have terrible agoraphobia - but enclosed large spaces (gymnasiums, grocery stores,etc.), not outdoor crowded spaces. When I was a teenager I was standing on a barstool rooting through the top of my closet when I took a terrible spill and slammed my shin on the side of my bedframe. I thought that was the root of my fear of falling but your explanation makes a lot of sense. When I was about 8 I was walking to school when an airplane flew overhead. I looked up at it and fell over! (I had to overcompensate in ballet class and as a result, I have VERY strong legs.) One of my weirdest phobias is that a rusty shaving cream can will explode sending tiny metal shards all through me. As a result I only use the tiny travel ones so they don't have time to get rusty. I also have a fear that when I drive a nail into a wall I will hit an electrical wire. These are just the first ones that came to mind - I bet you're sorry you asked this question! And oddly enough I have no fear of elevators even though I was stuck on one once - although I did have a panic attack in that weird tiny lift in the St. Louis arch. Like groanin jock, I REALLY hate birds that hang out around people, but mine is because I think they will be startled and fly into my eye. And, you know, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Well I am working on my fear of public speaking -bet you don't suffer from that. I did have a fear of spiders, but did a course at London Zoo and am much better now. My husband had a fear of flying, and a course at Heathrow Aiport in London helped him no end.

I hope Dr Tempest will be able to advise.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I have no phobias. My mom-in-law on the other hand has acrophobia. We live on the third floor, she on the second and it freaks her right out when I lean double over the balcony rail so I can see her (albeit upside down)when we talk. The railing is high, I'm holding on, I'm perfectly safe, but nevertheless...

When we went to the Grand Canyon, she wouldn't even get out of the car.

7:27 AM  
Blogger SeaSpray said...

When I was little I used to jump off the roof of our house for fun - until I got in trouble for it. (It was a ranch but still) Then when I was 14 I got the brainstorm to sun bathe on the roof while no one was home. i would put a towel down, lie down while holding onto the peak.

Then at 16, I felt a little weak in the knees when going down from the 3rd floor stairs that you could see all the way down.

At 18 I walked all the way up a really tall look out monument in our area and when it was time to turn around and come back down - I COULDN'T! I couldn't because I could see all the way down to the bottom. So, my boyfriend - now husband had to hold my hand while I totally had my back pressed against the wall. i inched down while people gingerly walked up past me.

I can go up high if sitting or going up - I just can't look down and walk down at the same time.

I was good on a balance beam and I consider myself to have good balance. i had gone through some emotional traumas before that and thought maybe there had been a connection that way.

Also, even if watching a movie, etc and i am sitting on the sofa - I will feel a weak feeling shoot through my knees if I am visualizing someone teetering on a ledge, etc. :)

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home