Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Here's how I see the world today. Tomorrow may be different

I pilfered this from my friend Donna's blog and it gave me a little food-for-thought this Tuesday morning. Of course, this is today's list. Tomorrow's might be completely different.

Anyway, 'la liste':

1. A song? "Layla", Derek and the Dominoes

2. An 80's rock album? Cyndi Lauper “She’s So Unusual” – Especially for ‘Time After Time’. Anyway, I love Cyndi. Anyone who would have Little Richard officiate at her wedding is OK in my books. If she and I weren't married, I'd want her to bear my children.

3. A singer? Peggy Lee, Dean Martin – If we’re just talking pure voice, then the traditionals can’t be beaten. No one sexier than Miss Peggy Lee

4. A man? My long-deceased best college friend, Dave Levang. Miss him always.

5. A woman? My wife, Wendy, my late mother-in-law, May

6. A writer? Shakespeare and Mark Twain. With those two you have much of the wisdom you will ever need

7. A book? So difficult to narrow down. In fact, I think I’ll leave this one out, as my favorite books have invariably changed in impact as I’ve aged

8. A word? All you need is ‘love’

9. A movie? Again a tough one. Probably ‘The Caine Mutiny’ (love Bogey) and ‘Chinatown’ (love Nicholson and cinema noir)

10. A wise statement? ‘Thank-you for your submission. We will be running it in our March 28 edition’

11. A color? Blue – especially the azure of a tropical sea.

12. A flower? A perfect rose

13. A fictional character? Huck Finn. He faces the moral dilemmas that strike us all with regularity

14. A name? Rufus Firefly (AKA Groucho Marx)

15. A guitarist? Eric Clapton, of course, with Stevie Ray Vaughn coming a close second

16. A guitar? The classic Stratocaster just because it’s so bizarre looking, kind of like a '56 DeSoto

17. An Age? 40, when I began to believe in me

18. A famous Historical character? Winston Churchill, Franklin D. Roosevelt

19. A flavor? Vanilla

20. A meal? Roast prime rib (marbled), Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes

21. A country? Canada (because I live there), England (because I once lived there), Ireland (because it’s beautiful and charming), the US (because I visit regularly and Hawaii, Palm Springs and San Diego happen to be there)

22. A city? Kapaa, Kauai. Actually just a small town, but if I’m there, it means I am on Kauai. Otherwise, London

23. A monument? Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square. Not very big on monuments, but Nelson’s is phallically impressive

8 Comments:

Blogger Dr Michelle Tempest said...

23 great insights, thanks for those. I especially liked the sound of your favourite meal. Michelle

1:56 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Great list!

(I went 'awwwww' with your chosen word. Apparently, I'm feeling sentimental this evening!)

Little Z's first birthday is coming up, and I want to invite you to the birthday bash, but the email address I have for you no longer connects -- do you have my email address? Let me know!

5:19 PM  
Blogger CS said...

"40, when I began to believe in me." I absolutely love that.

6:44 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I believe the most impressive thing you have written was:

6. A writer? Shakespeare and Mark Twain. With those two you have much of the wisdom you will ever need

That's a great line of wisdom, itself.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

10. A wise statement? ‘Thank-you for your submission. We will be running it in our March 28 edition’

This one had me laughing out loud.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Glad to read about your favourite monumnent, Lord Nelson is my hero and I spoke about him at my latest Toastmaster speech last week.

I am amazed you come from my neck of the woods. I get the EDP every day, great reading, of course.

You sound a very contented guy.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I like your sense of humor Ian...enjoyed this look into your thoughts and feelings.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

I just posted my list of favorite female singers today, (Peggy Lee was my #1) And last saturday was my post on top male crooners. Interested in your perspective. Stop by and say hi sometime...intrested in your perspective too

www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home