Wednesday, August 02, 2006

In Vino Veritas

Far be it from me to kick a person when he's down. Except in cases where the person damn well deserves to be down -- so in this case I will make Mel Gibson one of those exceptions. Whatever his sheer stupidity brings about in terms of trashing his career, is quite called for. He called for it himself.

As a human being I will make all sorts of exceptions for people who get on the wrong side of drugs and alcohol. I bear no malice towards Robert Downey Jr., Courtney Love or Nick Nolte, along with countless others in the public eye going back to WC Fields and John Barrymore. But, I will countenance no backpedaling from somebody who got pissed up, and then responded to the situation with profane arrogance and vicious bigotry. He fucked up bigtime, and therefore chose to blame not just the arresting officer but an entire race of people.

Wow! And, do you know what. Blowing a .12 doesn't make you all that drunk. It's only point zero four over the legal driving limit. Big boys can usually hold their booze pretty well at that level. Therefore, let's suggest that the ever-so-successful Mr. Gibson used that as an excuse for some appalling behavior. I mean, take a look at his mug. He really doesn't look all the worse for wear. Where are the rheumy eyes and the hangdog expression. Why doesn't he look like Nolte did in that infamous mug shot. I used to run a rehab, if a guy came in looking like Mel, I would say he was in pretty darn decent shape.

It has been pointed out that most people, when they drink excessively, do things like talk too loudly, decide that a recent barfly acquaintance is his best friend in the world, maybe make a pass at an old family friend, go out and puke on his shoes, or maybe just plain pass out cold. Most people when they get drunk don't launch into a diatribe against a specific ethnic group unless they happen to already think that way. That's how I see it.

Many years ago (and this is something I am still ashamed of) I was busted for DUI. I was beside myself, and could offer no excuse for my behavior other than the fact I acted thoroughly irresponsibly and deserved whatever punishment was coming my way. Needless to say, the lesson stuck, and there is absolutely no chance of my repeating the act. And, by God, when they took me in, I was the politest and humblest little puppy in the world. It never once crossed my mind to blame another race of people for my misbehavior.

I am experienced enough now in dealing with substance abuse, from a clinical end, that I harbor no delusions about the effects of intoxicants on people but, you know, I do not accept substance abuse as a mitigating factor in courts. "I molested my stepdaughter, your honor, because I was drunk." In a pig's eye, you did. You molested your stepdaughter because you already harbored carnal and controlling thoughts about her, and being drunk just gave you the courage to carry out what you had always wanted to do.

"I maligned an entire culture, your honor, because I was drunk." Like Hell. You maligned the Jews because you already harbored anti-Semitic thoughts, and your being drunk gave you the courage to express what you really thought. Also, the realization that you had screwed up so badly put you in a panic, and you were desperate to blame somebody else.

Of course, I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

In Vino Veritas, in wine there is truth, said the Romans. They weren't wrong. Anything you have ever done or said or tried when drunk is something you likely always wanted to do, say, or try out while sober. Get a snootful, and anything you've harbored in your little heart seems like a good idea. The guy who lights into his boss at the office Christmas party is the guy who always wanted to light into his boss, but just didn't have the balls. If your sister-in-law looks pretty damn hot late in the evening after a few snifters, it's because she has always looked pretty damn hot in your esteem.

So, I am not about to say that Mr. Gibson is an anti-Semite. Only he knows the truth of that. But, I can say that his behavior says something about him that is extremely negative, and with which he, in his good Catholic conscience should be wrestling.

He says he is going to get into a program and get treatment. Good for him. Alcoholism is a hideous affliction that kills thousands every year. He should be thanking the cops who nailed him and kept him from killing himself or others. He should be thankful for being granted the realization that whatever he was doing to control his drinking behavior, obviously wasn't working.

And, he should now be cognizant of the fact that any recovery program, especially if it's 12-Step based, calls for complete honesty and complete humility. I expect for him that will be a tall order.

6 Comments:

Blogger Leslie: said...

I certainly agree with your thoughts on this, Ian. However, there is such a thing as "forgiveness" and from what the papers are quoting Mr. Gibson as saying since his arrest, I believe it is in everyone's best interest to give him grace to work on what has caused his abominable behaviour. No one knows the mind of another; no one knows why he was where he was; no one knows why he ended up drunk and disorderly. We need to show compassion and mercy and pray that he will do what is right to right his wrong.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I do think his drunk behaviour was reprehensible.

I hope he finds help, but I wonder what kind of help there is for racism and sexism?

8:57 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

"Anything you have ever done or said or tried when drunk is something you likely always wanted to do, say, or try out while sober. Get a snootful, and anything you've harbored in your little heart seems like a good idea."

How true these statements are. I could share personal stories, but I won't because they usually end up with me minus some clothes in them. Yet, those two sentences really put things in perspective for me when it comes to Mel...after all, you don't become someone "new" when you're drinking. Usually, you just let out the part that you've been hiding.

Sigh.

5:10 AM  
Blogger djn said...

DUI... it can happen to anyone. But Mel Gibson is a perfect example of why I'm fed up with Hollywood. They act above it all and then when they're called for accountability, they check into rehab. Mel Gibson is being victimized in the eyes of many... but not in mine. I hope he finds the help he needs but I find myself cynical. Same old story; different actor. God bless his wife & kids who have to wear his badge of dishonor...

6:24 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

wow, what a long vent...but i do agree...we know that alcohol disengages that part of the brain that put the brakes on anti-social behaviour, so unfortunately what he has held in close reign in his sub-conscious has come spewing out...oh well, too bad, Mel was one of my faves, now, no so much...

come up and see me sometime Ian, miss you over here at FlamsHide,

luv etc,
pj

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, you're going to make me start listening to the news again.

I had no idea that Mel had done something that called so much negative attention down on himself, and although I don't know the details, I can gather them from your post.

You mention that he's a "Catholic." In defense of those who really are, I need to point out that Mel is in a religion which is actually considered to be in schism. In Mel's mind, the RC's are too liberal.

I agree with you, regarding people's behavior when they've been drinking. It only brings out what's already there ...

... and in this case, it sounds as if he gave the world an eye full of what's really in him ...

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home