Monday, May 15, 2006

Gimme a head with hair -- long, beautiful hair ...


I got my hair cut today. At my age, I am grateful I still have hair to cut. I get it cut very short. Nothing to maintain, and somebody told me a while ago that short hair makes me look younger -- that is frosting on the bonus cake. Also, should I happen to have an unexpected opportunity to do some tropical snorkeling arise, then I am prepared. Long hair is a pain when donning a face mask.

When I was younger I got my hair cut at a barbershop. Barbershops in days gone by were havens of masculinity. Smelling like bay rum and Brylcreem, a lad's first visit to the local barbershop was kind of an initiation into manhood. It was a guy place. Copies of the Police Gazette, or Field and Stream on the coffee table, lots of chat about sports, hunting, fishing and, in muted tones if kids were present, broads. The barbershop I went to even had a shoeshine boy (when men still shined their shoes), and some guys even came in for a shave with a straight-razor. Never had one of those.

I haven't been to a barbershop in years. For about 15 years Cindy has cut my hair. I like that. I like it when she massages my scalp when she shampoos me (barbers never shampooed a guy), I like the fact she is very cute, and very nice, and never talks about sports. She does talk about motorcycles, however. She and her husband are Harley tourers and they try to go to the gathering at Sturges, S. Dak. every year. That is something out of my realm of experience, but I listen attentively, regardless, just because she is cute and nice and has been tending to my tonsorial needs for a long time.

When I was younger I used to wear my hair long. In high school I would spend a half hour in front of the mirror getting the greasy waterfall 'just so.' No small art, that. "No, Ma, don't ask me to wash my hair. It would take me days to get my hair right again." Now I wash my hair every day, and couldn't imagine not so doing. It would be like going without a shower or change of underwear. Quite unspeakable. Later, in the so-called hippie era, I wore my hair even longer. Down to the shoulders. I looked like a pretentious asshole daytripper -- which is basically what I was. It wasn't me. I was happy when styles changed back to slightly shorter locks. I wasn't yet ready for truly short, but liked the mussy, windblown look of the sort sported by Alan Bates in The Go-Between. If that style was sufficient to melt Julie Christie's heart, it was good enough for me. I kept it that way for too many years.

So, now I wear my hair real short. Not jailbird or street-junkie short, but short enough that I have an excuse to pay a social/professional call on Cindy at least once a month.

4 Comments:

Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

hey there....let me just tell you...i heard somewhere that you are not supposed to wash your hair every day! something to do with washing away all the good natural oils...i believe it...although, since my hair is my MOST serious vanity...i like it clean and shiney...and long...unlike this old photo of me....but that, as i like to say, is "another storey"...which you will no doubt hear about sometime in the future...

cheers for now, and keep those posts coming...and enjoy your hair while you still have it, (hah hah! but i mean that in a nice way)

cheers,
pj

4:28 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

My hair ALWAYS gets to one length, then seems to cease to grow.

I guess that's okay...I would never survive having to get my hair cut once a month; that's rent money!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Hey Ian,

Like Peg, I stumbled onto your blogsite through tripping across the blogs. Quite interesting to read through your past posts. Am enjoying your dry humor so far :)

Regarding hair, particularly my own. I keep it short and manageable to combat the extreme heat and humidity down here in the tropics. In times of stress, mine sheds like a dog's also, lol.

Like everyone else, though, I do admire seeing someone with a full, beautiful head of hair.

Enid

4:53 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Hi Ian, Thx for stopping by my blog. Convey my thanks for the recommendation to your pal Josie. That's quite a compliment. You seriously have put some thought into your hair over the years. I can't throw stones in that regard though as I enjoy a good haircut and like you, I enjoy pointing out to many of my friends that I still have plenty of hair to worry about.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home