Thursday, May 11, 2006

Goodnight Stumpy, wherever you are!


Today, out on an errand I drove past the place "where they murder cats" (the vet's clinic), when I was struck by the thought that today is the first anniversary of the untimely demise of my cat, Stumpy.

By the way, "place where they murder cats" was a waggish comment. I like our vet very much. She is kind, compassionate and remarkably easy on the eyes. If I were single, and she were single, I'd propose to her so that she could keep me in my old age, since the average vet makes about the same as most rock stars. Anyway, I digress.

I just wanted to say (as a non cat person) that I still miss Stumpy quite painfully. I miss her because she was a 'non-cat'. Nothing much feline about her disposition. She was a pure Manx, and was shaped like a butterball turkey. And she had more spunk and personality than any feline I'd ever met. She bonded with me within days after we had acquired her from the shelter, only 2 1/2 years earlier, and we were inseparable after that. She followed me like a puppy and grew distressed when I was out of sight. She amused me. She made me laugh aloud sometimes. She was ruthlessly predatory, and devoted her days to stalking and capturing garden snakes. She purred at a volume that could awaken the neighbors. She mercilessly tormented the other cat, and she charmed the bejesus out of me. She was only seven when she became riddled with cancer, and I had to have her expedited. I wept quietly on the way home from the vet's that day a year ago. Today I thought about her. I still miss her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

As you said, I suspect Bentley and Stumpy are running about in their ungainly, kindred ways.

5:36 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

*hugs*

I'm sure Stumpy is profoundly happy in a field full of catnip that is filled with garden snakes.

:)
AM

7:44 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Aaaaw* Now I miss her too!
What a character...and how nice for her that she is remembered so fondly, and was enjoyed so much.

9:02 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Some animals transcend that whole "dog person/cat person" boundary, and just make you love them because they're inherently fantastic. It sounds like Stumpy was wonderful, and I'm sure, wherever she is, she's purring in contentment. :)

10:57 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20160426
tiffany jewelry
oakley sunglasses
cheap oakley sunglasses
michael kors uk
adidas shoes
louboutin
asics shoes
louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet
tory burch outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton outlet
ray ban wayfarer
coach factorty outlet
coach outlet online
replica watches
ray bans
michael kors outlet
coach factory outlet
kobe 9
true religion outlet
pandora outlet
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
ray bans
louis vuitton purses
lebron 13
christian louboutin outlet
air max 90
michael kors outlet online
mont blanc
supra shoes
louis vuitton outlet
christian louboutin shoes
true religion
michael kors handbags
toms outlet
oakley sunglasses
nike factory outlet
christian louboutin shoes
as

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home