Thursday, May 04, 2006

Close encounter of the dental kind


This is not the brightest of all mornings since I know that this afternoon at 3:30 I'll be sitting in the dentist's chair having all sorts of unspeakable things done within my oral cavity. It's not a comforting thought.

This is not to suggest I don't admire, respect, and possibly even love my dentist. I've been going to him for more than 20 years and he's the best in the business, virtually painless and extremely considerate of my comfort at all times. If he weren't so rich, I'd write him into my will. And, his assistant is a charming and exquisitely lovely person of the sort one has untoward fantasy dreams about. Just too bad she's married to a friend of mine. I mean, you can't express to a friend, no matter how close he might be, that "Your wife is so hot, I'd really like to run off with her. OK?" Added to which, she has seen me at my most vulnerable, not to mention esthetically unappetizing.

No, as I say, my dentist is very, very good. He was the guy who got me fully past the dental angst I brought with me from childhood, when my mother insisted that I keep going to this sadistic butcher hack, who instilled in my a lifelong dread of drills, novacaine and anything else associated with that cloying and nauseating clove smell that used to dominate dental chambers. I wondered later if my mother insisted I go go him because she was having an affair with him. I mean, I learned as I got older that the guy was a notorious lecher, and when I was about 14 I actually saw him cop a feel up the skirt of his pretty redheaded assistant.

But, I digress to a degree. I find it interesting that in our professional encounters we grant liberties to certain people that would otherwise be in hideous violation of personal space rules, and we accept it because we need such services on occasion. I sit and chat with my wife's doctor, and I think, You see my wife naked. You see my wife in intimate poses that are normally reserved for, well, intimate partners. You do that, yet it doesn't bother me, because you're her doctor. My hairdresser, Cindy, cuts my hair, massages my scalp and sometimes presses her breasts against my upper torso as she is carrying out her tonsorial ministrations, and that's OK. She's the very pretty lady who cuts my hair and does a fine job of it, so she is allowed the closeness. I go to my doctor for my semi-annual "guy" exam. I mean, this is an almost unspeakable indignity and violation, and I also know my doctor socially. But, again, it's OK. It's his job.

So, what I was leading up to is the matter of those incidents in which doctors, shrinks, chiropractors and other individuals whose calling leads them into intimate contact with either the bodies or the psyches of their clients, taking advantage of the role and crossing boundaries that sometimes lead to intimacies or violations.

It's all about trust and, in such cases, where there is prosecution, I say throw the book at the bastards. I may have sweet and kindly thoughts about my hairdresser or dental assistant, but I know both women are thoroughly professional about their duties and also thoroughly respect my privacy and integrity. Cases where some creep, therefore, takes advantage, should never go unreported.

Meanwhile, I still have to go to the dentist at 3:30. Sigh.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your dentist's assistant read your blog? >;o)

Good luck with your appointment!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Ian, have fun (?) at the dentist.

I read your post re Roddy Haig-Brown. He was the godfather to one of my brothers.

What a hoot! We're practically related.

Will e-mail you later re Vancouver Island.

Josie

12:36 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Ian, more on the Haig-Browns. My parents and the Haig-Browns lived next door to each other at Forbes Landing. My older brother was born during the fire at Forbes Landing. The Haig-Browns asked my parents to name my brother "Forbes" after the event, and Roddy became his godfather.

More later...

Josie

1:48 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

hhhhahHAHHHHHAHHHAH HHHAH HAH HAH..."...Cindy...cuts my hair...presses her breats up against my torso..." etc...sorry, but that just made me howl...BUT..then i calmed down..and thought "OH MY GAWD...Cindy!" ...not little Cindy, who used to cut my hair and dye my eyebrows when i lived in Burnaby, but then she moved back to her hometown, Comox, Cindy!!!!! ???

...don't tell me!

but is is now 3:30 you are in the dentist chair and i can relate absolutely...i have something wrong with my tooth, and i should go to the dentist, but i am feeling so fragile physically i am just NOT in the mood to have my dentist, as much as i love and respect his professionalism and gentleness, RUMMAGING, yes, i said rummaging, around in my mouth...enuf already....anyway, you will be fine i know, so i am not too worried.

well, catch up with you later, baby, right now i'm off to plant my two mini-tomatoes on my now very sunny balcony....cheers...

3:37 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

i was just thinking of you as i cut and pasted on meow's blog, back in a mo.

9:35 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

Hey there ian, re your comment on my post...call me a cynic but this "love of my life" AT ANY COST, is crap, sorry, but that is just the way i feel, "love of my life, who treats me with kindness and respect etc"..well ok., but it seems to me we are taking this love stuff to a ridiculous extreme...but i will post more on this later...right now i have to get dressed and venture out into the warm world...soon it will be too hot for me to got outside, delicate little flower that i am, HO HO!

Yup, we will chat soon, hope the remnants of the dental work are not paining you too much...i enjoyed reading your post...but i don't know who Betty Beatty is?

why do some women insist on wearing blinders: a friend of mine is having an affair with a married man, and is boo hooing all over the place all the time,,,"but i luvvv him, and i know he loves me" what a loat of codsswallop(?) -- one minute she is happy next minute crying on my shoulder because he has not called...this has been going on for three years...i finally told her i could not listen to her crying anymore, "dump the jerk or quit moaning about it!" i told her.

well, we will chat later, must get off this computer and get some real work done!
cheers,
pj

9:54 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

hope you had a blast at the dentist!

:)
AM

1:46 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

so, how'd it go?

6:12 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

To all concerned, and thanks for your words of sympathy, the dentist went very well, with no subsequent distress. As I said, I have the best dentist in the world, and again he didn't let me down. And Sue was as adorable as ever.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home