Tuesday, May 02, 2006

You can make book on this


I really and truly love to read. Sometimes, when I'm weary, I long for the end of the day so that I can curl up in bed with a book. Reading is the third best thing one can do in bed. Sleeping being another one of the three.

I'm an inveterate and voracious reader. In fact, I'm a reading slut. If there is nothing good to read, then I will read whatever is available. Awful to me is to heed a call of nature and to be positioned on the john with no reading material. At such a time I will read a shampoo bottle or tampon label. You can actually learn a lot that way.

Lately though I've been bothered a bit by my literary slumming. I was an English major in university, and subsequent to my own studies, I also taught high school English for a number of years. In those years I read assorted literary works, and managed to wade through even Moby Dick (I have no desire to ever repeat that experience). I liked good literature and fine fiction. I've done Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, dos Passos, Sinclair Lewis, Robert Graves, George Orwell (every damn word the man ever wrote in his truncated life), Huxley, and so on and so on.

But, for some reason, somewhere in middle age, I seem to have kissed fiction goodbye. There was something that began to irk me about fiction. I think it was the fact that it's not real. So, I started to read non-fiction voraciously -- especially biography and diaries. I've continued with that mode and, in being a bit of a memoirist myself, I have an admiring resentment of writers like Augusten Burrows (Running with Scissors, Dry) and Rick Bragg (Ava's Man) because they are so damn good at their craft. I'd likewise envy old and far too charming codger Frank McCourt because he is such a storyteller. I don't even care if not every scrap of Angela's Ashes is the utter truth, exactly as it happened, I'd just like to sit in a Killarney pub with a pint of Guinness and listen to the man spin his tales.

Lately my reading has taken me to true crime stuff, and especially Ann Rule's sagas of the most despicable excuses for humanity you would ever want to meet -- Ted Bundy, the Green River Killer, etc. etc. -- and marvel at both the energies of a woman her age turning out the number of books she does, and also her amazing skill at her craft. A skill that leaves her so readable that I am sucker-punched when she publishes yet another tome that I will feel compelled to buy.

But, you see, here is my quandary. I have literary guilt. As an erstwhile English student and teacher, I feel guilty. I feel that I have allowed my horizons to limit themselves when I realize that I read the Globe and Mail books section each weekend and my eyes simply pass over the fiction categories so I can get to the reviews of 'real' stories.

Oh well, if literary slut I must be, then at least the literary part has some validity in a post-literate age.

14 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

hahah - reading/literary slut. I love it. I'm one too.

I can't help but laugh at the thought of reading the shampoo bottles - you're not alone, Ian. hehe.

:)
AM

12:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

You must have been listening in on the conversation I had with my husband last weekend!!!
I feel the same way about fiction - but without the guilt. Right now I am trying to read "The Kite Runner" and as good as I am told it is...I just cannot get into it. Now, if someone told me it was a true story, I would probably eat it right up...*shrug*

7:27 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

...and cereal boxes and toilet paper packaging and books I've already read 20 times and warning labels and...

Yeah, your preaching to the choir!

Don't worry about WHAT you read (unless it's 'Harlequin', but then just never admit it) just be glad that you can and you do, with a passion a fervour...you literary slut you!
(says I...who joined the ranks when I was about 4 and a half.)

7:39 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

It if makes you feel any better...(which I doubt it will, cause it's a little depressing....)

In parts of the US, there is a big movement for incorporating more "non fiction" and "functional reading materials" into classrooms because that is what the majority of reading passages consist of on the standardized tests for those particular states. So...don't feel badly about reading nonfiction or tampon packages.

That's what the kids are doing in a lot of classes now too. ;)

Wouldn't it be nice to have a balance in the classroom??

1:00 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

o.k. - i'll bite! - what's the second best thing?

1:34 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

"In Cold Blood" was the "first" fiction non-fiction, and the format really caught on. Also "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck, which was a journal. Much more interesting than fiction. I used to love reading fiction (good literature) and I remember my father telling me that one day fiction would bore me and I would want to read non-fiction. Sure enough it happened. I want to read about real people, with real ideas, doing real things. But I have never heard anyone else admit to that, so I was surprised to read your post.

Josie

3:17 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I grew up on Vancouver Island. Your photo looks familiar to me as well. Very strange... hmmm. You might have known some people that I knew...?

Josie

3:25 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

well, duuh, silly me...sleeping of course!!!! - i was wracking my brains, and all i could think of was someone bringing me breakfast in bed!!! - my sister gave me a lovely breakfast tray last year for my birthday ~ and i have yet to use it, damn!

yeah, well, my mental health is o.k., but this morning i was looking for something...and well, it would be easier if i did not have so much clutter....but everytime i try to clean up i seem to get even more messy and disorganized...what's THAT all about!!!

yeah, i thought his photo looked familiar too Josie, but on closer scrunity, and also reading about him I KNEW IT WAS NOT WHO I THOUGHT IT WAS, probably just as well, lol...

hey there tia, don't be discouraging people from reading "harliquin" lit, well, i call them "trashy novels"...i'm toying with the idea of trying to write and publish one as a way of "making ends meet", so to speak, ...of course i also have a secret desire that it might make millions, lol....

4:52 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Ian, small world indeed...! My father's best friend when they were young men was Roddy Haig-Brown. I'm sure living in Comox that you have heard of him. He and my Dad used to go fishing together. The old Painter's Lodge had a photo of them with a huge salmon they had caught. Ann Haig-Brown was my mother's best friend.

Busy day today, must regroup. Will write more later.

Josie

6:38 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

by the way, i did read the Green River Killer (funny you should mention it, i was sorting out stuff in my bedroom a few days ago, and found it under a pile of other books....it was pretty scary, but compelling...someone had left it with a pile of books down by our mailboxes, it was not something i would go out and buy or even borrow from the library...but i think i was reading material poor at the time...with time on my hands as well..achght, don't do guilt, that's for mama's boys!!!... and you are not a complete slut, after all you DO read the Globe and Mail -- someone gave me a free copy of it at SS last week, and it is still sitting on my coffee table untouched!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I have to jump in here about Rod Haig-Brown...my father and he exchanged books for years!

I remember scampering around his and Anne's beautiful home right near the old elementary school I used to go to!

ooh, goose bumps!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

All the Haig-Brown connections. Good heavens. I read 'Starbuck Valley Winter' when I was about nine. A friend when I was growing up married one of the daughters -- his name was (and probably still is) Bernie Bowker, and I also knew Jim Boulding, married to another daughter, and who started Strathcona Park Lodge and was kind of a pioneer in outdoor education in the province. So, dear friends, there is my input.

12:09 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

kyrie irving shoes
kd 11 shoes
lebron 16
goyard
fitflop
zx flux
balenciaga
supreme new york
balenciaga
jordan 4

4:30 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

kyrie shoes
jordan shoes
jordan 4
moncler outlet
kobe shoes
yeezy
yeezy
retro jordans
hermes
nike sb

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home