Sunday, May 21, 2006

Or -- the 'Lewinski Code' might sell better

On Friday I made a list of things I didn't want to do this weekend. The list included: Not slashing my wrists; not harboring untoward carnal thoughts about Lindsay Lohan (who might arguably be seen as more dysfunctional than the entire Culkin clan), and especially to 'not' see The Da Vinci Code. In fact, I made a further vow, and was to not ever see The Da Vinci Code. None of my motivation in eschewing the flick had anything to do with the 'present in entirely too many movies' Tom Hanks weird hair syndrome, but everything to do with my belief system. Anyway, Hanks had much weirder hair in Forest Gump (contender for the most overrated movie in history). Back to my belief system. My belief system regarding Code is that I don't give a shit about the findings of a half-baked novel. Because, that is all it is. It's not the arrival of the anti-Christ, it's a trowel-it-on semi-researched novel. Nothing wrong with that per se. Kudos to the guy who wrote it and sold it. My point is, such mental, pseudo-theological ramblings have nothing to do with what I believe or disbelieve. Those things are 'mine', and not to be interfered with. Is the premise of Christ and Mary Magdalene blasphemy? Of course not. Maybe it even really happened. I don't know. Neither does anybody else. Clues in Da Vinci's The Last Supper? How so? Why would Leonardo Da Vinci know more about what was going on than, say, Leonardo DiCaprio? Well, maybe a little bit more, but you get my drift.

So, I'll put Da Vinci right there alongside those who through the ages have surmised that somebody other than Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare's plays. A wag once suggested that the plays of Shakespeare were in fact written by another writer of the same name. But again, what does it matter. What if the plays were written by a guy named Melvin? Does that make Hamlet any less magnificent? Not to me it doesn't. The point is, they were written and they have gone down through the ages as a true gift to humanity. The story of Christ is deemed by the devout to be a true gift to humanity, likewise, and no pop-culture nonsense is going to defuse the beliefs held by those people.

However, I have the germ of an idea brewing for a novel and ultimately, I hope, a film. I call it by the working title: The Lewinski Code. In this one Monica, as the Mary Magdalene character, comes to the realization that Bill Clinton is actually the anti-Christ and that her Christian quest is to ultimately disgrace him, and to force him to spend the rest of his days knowing that he induces titters in certain sections of the crowd when he is on the rubber-chicken speaking circuit. The moment of truth comes near the end when a penitent Monica utters, in Aramaic, as a nod to Mel Gibson, the immortal lines of Freud: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

8 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

I'm completely with you on this one Ian. I'm amazed by the uproar in overly-religious circles over a FICTIONAL story. Also, I like the Lewinski Code idea. I agree on Tom Hanks goofy hair. I read the novel, enjoyed it and have no interest in Tom Hanks and his bad hair destroying the character images in my mind.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Oh, this post made me lol. You are such a great writer!!!!

~Deb

2:55 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

Likewise with me re seeing the film. I read the novel and was engrossed in it last summer whilst relaxing on my lovely shaded patio. It was a gripping NOVEL and I could actually "see" it being made into a movie. But frankly, if I do decide to see it, I'll wait for the DVD and rent it when I am so bored it comes down to that movie or watching paint dry.

Thanks for dropping by my site, Ian. Feel free to do so any time. I am glad Josie sent me over to read yours - you're now on my favourites list and I look forward to your daily musings. :D

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Omigod, Ian, you are too funny. I was laughing so hard the munchkins came in to see what I was laughing at...

...another writer of the same name.

I agree, wild horses couldn't drag me to see The Da Vinci Code, or to read the novel either.

7:38 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

I read the book a few years aga and I will admit that I saw the flick on Friday. It was good entertainment and follows the book almost to a T. But it's just that, entertainment. I don't understand all the hullabaloo surrounding it.

Anyhoo ... as for Monica and Clinton ... hmm ... I would so pull a Monica if it meant we'd get Bill back and get rid of the monkey. But that's not what you were talking about and I just totally disgraced myself.

Moving along ...

:)
AM

8:01 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi ian,

i sent an email to you today which was returned as undeliverable. do you have a new email address than what is listed?

sylvia

10:39 AM  
Blogger djn said...

Beautiful!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Hi Ian :-)

First - I agree with Deb!!!

There's a reason it's called "fiction" - that's because it's all make believe. I attended Catholic Mass with my daughter this weekend...on the welcome table was a full color pamphlet on the Catholic Church's position on the Da Vinci Code. It was very informative, but I just don't understand why they had to put perfectly good financial resources into printing a brochure...are people really so gullible as to mistake fiction (a marginally fun story) with reality? Could anyone be so dim as to think they will learn history from a fiction novel? I still feel annoyed by it...

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home