Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Serenity and grace in the days of spring


My fish are feeding again, and that is a certain sign of spring in my world. After having lain dormant somewhere in the nether realms of the pond during the winter, they are now eating like there is no tomorrow. I began throwing them food on Sunday, and by today they are awaiting my morning arrival with avid anticipation.

I don't have so many fish, just two koi and three goldfish (my pond isn't terribly large), but I am delighted that all survived the winter and seem happy and healthy. Actually, I don't know if they're happy since fish aren't given to smiles, but I am assuming they are if they have good appetites.

I have had outdoor fish at three separate residences over the years, and I don't think I would ever be without them. They demand little and yet they give back more than you might think. What they primarily give is serenity. If I'm feeling stressed, even 10 minutes of piscatorial viewing makes negativity melt away. I can understand why the Japanese have always equated them to beauty and serenity. Sometimes I wonder what it is like for them being in captivity. Do they have fish dreams about broader expanses of water? I mean, my pond is virtually all they've ever known. It is their world, their universe, so I doubt if their wonderings extend beyond the pond's confines.

They do have enemies, of course, and keeping said vermin at bay demands vigilance. Raccoons love sushi, and more than once the pond has been ravaged by the furry bandits. Consequently, I now keep the pond screened overnight. Equally fond of a good feed of fish are the herons. Normally shy, they won't hesitate to assail a backyard pond. Once, at my former home, I heard a screech from the upstairs bedroom. I ran up to see what was happening. Since my ex was given to voluble histrionics at many things I thought it was probably nothing much. She, sputtering, pointed to the window. I looked out and there was a heron standing ankle-deep (do herons have ankles?) in the pond, contentedly plucking koi from the waters. I ran downstairs and out to the deck (below which the pond sat) waving my arms and exhorting the otherwise magnificent bird to depart immediately. He looked up, then ignored me and went back to his task. It was only when I got close enough to touch him that he gave up on his quest. We put a screen on that afternoon.

But, predators notwithstanding, my fish are back for the season and now I can truly welcome spring.

3 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

glad to hear that spring is upon you. always a great time of year.

you're right, fish do seem to bring about a feeling of serenity - the grace with which they move and the flowing of their fins and tails - ahh, just thinking about it is relaxing.

i do have to say that the cats at my mother's house think the goldfish are there for them, though some of the fish have caught on to them and lead them on a chase of cat and mouse - or should that be fish? - which is rather amusing to watch. the cats get so frustrated when the fish dives for a depth the cat can't reach.

:)
AM

1:43 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Your words bring soothing thoughts of sunshine and crisp mornings...I could have used a ten minute de-stressing visit with a friendly coi today :-)

9:52 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Welcome back Ian's Fishies!

I love watching koi--they are the most serene of creatures and I love watching their mouths pop open and shut as they anticipate being fed.

However, I don't have fish in my own pathetic garden pond.

A) the previous owner warned me of the same perils--raccoons and herons

and B) fishies don't seem to last long with me

I've never kept them outside though. Maybe that's easier than a tank. I had a friend who kept gold-fish in a rain-barrel and she never bothered to feed them. They survived on mosquito larvae, etc. They grew to enormous size too. :)

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home