Friday, March 10, 2006

Walking the walk of fame is costly


Having never been famed in fable and/or story, I don't know how those who have such notoriety regard their karmic impact -- especially when they see their name used as an adjective -- and an adjective in a comic strip (see the last frame in the strip to the right). So, certain 50-ish foxiness seeking women are to be regarded as Kim Cattrallish.

That intrigues me. When she was a bubbly 15-year-old and told me with pants-wetting enthusiasm who much she longed to be a famous actress, she never suggested she also wanted to be featured prominently in a comic strip, let alone become a figure-of-speech. In it's own way, it's kind of a heady sort of fame. Actors are described as being Brando-ish, or Monroe-ish. Now they can be Cattrall-ish.

I remember once, many years ago, going to a production in a rinky-dink little theatre somewhere on Granville to see Miss Kimberly in a stage production. It was the first near-to-home venture she'd been in since she graduated both from Vanier Secondary, and the New York School of Dramatic arts. After the play was over in a venue scarcely larger than my living room, I told somebody present that I'd like to see Miss Cattrall. She was beside herself that a teacher had actually come to see her in a 'big city' production (in a teeny theatre, albeit). She was so touched she began to cry. I wonder if, now that she's an adjective, if she is still capable of crying at such a gesture.

Kim's done well. She's done amazingly well. She isn't perhaps the giant thespian that she would like to be, and having played a successful TV series slutbunny doesn't necessarily put you on a par with Dames Judi Dench or Helen Mirren. But, you know, Ms. Mirren (whom, along with Ms. Dench is one of my absolute favorites) is not averse to taking off her blouse if the role calls for it, so there is hope for Kim yet, and I wish that for her.

I last spoke person-to-person with Kim about 12 years ago. It was like old times. She was unspoiled and unpretentious. I hope she still is, now that she has been feature in a comic strip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home